Dr Nikolarakos is a specialist Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and can manage problems involving the face neck and jaws. These include dental and wisdom teeth extractions, placing dental implants, bone grafts and sinus lifts, jaw corrective surgery, facial trauma and sleep apnoea surgery.
He also sub-specialises in the areas of Head and Neck Cancer and Facial Reconstruction. These include skin cancers, saliva gland cancers and cancers of the mouth jaws and throat. He performs facial reconstruction with local tissues or tissue transplants from other parts of the body using highly complex microsurgery techniques.
Dr Nikolarakos has been in the Gold Coast since 2011 and is renowned for his caring and compassionate manner, his surgical expertise and dedication to research and teaching. Many colleague surgeons from his and other specialties refer to Dr Nikolarakos their most difficult and challenging cases.
Dr Nikolarakos completed his dental and medical qualifications in the Universities of Melbourne and Adelaide and his Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery training in South Australia. He spent two years expanding his skills in the treatment of head and neck cancer and reconstructive surgery in highly prestigious fellowships in Portland in the United States, and London in the United Kingdom. Following this, he was appointed for a further two years as a specialist surgeon in one of the busiest teaching and level 1 trauma hospitals in London. There he developed expertise in the management of severe facial trauma, benign and malignant diseases of the Head and Neck and microvascular free-flap reconstruction of the jaws and face. Dr Nikolarakos has authored 2 chapters published in international surgical textbooks as well as numerous journal articles.
Dr Nikolarakos is
- A Staff Specialist and the Clinical Director of the Maxillofacial Department at the Gold Coast University Hospital and Health District
- A core member of the Gold Coast University Hospital Multidisciplinary Team providing treatment recommendations for patients with cancers affecting the Head and Neck region
- A clinical tutor and lecturer for dental and medical students from Griffith and Bond Universities
- A senior clinical supervisor of surgeons in training at the Gold Coast University Hospital
- An examiner for the final college examination required by all surgeons in training to gain specialist registration
- President and Federal Councillor, Australian and New Zealand Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons Queensland Branch
- Chairman of the Australasian Regional Group of the Strasbourg Osteosynthesis Research Group (S.O.R.G.)
- Clinical supervisor of PhD students, QUT and Griffith University
Dr Nikolarakos is
- A full specialist fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- A full specialist fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons
- A member of the Australian & New Zealand Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons and President / Federal councillor Queensland Branch
- A member of the Australian Head and Neck Cancer Society
- Member of the Australian Medical Association
- Member of the Personalised Medicine Research Group, Menzies Health Institute Queensland, Griffith University.